|BANGOR, Maine — A man who killed two people and injured four others was sentenced to life in prison Monday
for a rampage that left a trail of death and destruction across northern Maine.
Explaining his actions for the first time, Anthony Lord told the judge that he'd sought counseling to no avail after his baby
son's death left him overcome with grief before the shootings.
Lord, 37, said of the families: "They can't be given back what they lost."
Justice Ann Murray imposed two life sentences, the maximum sentences for the two counts of murder, during the hearing at
the Penobscot Judicial Center. In Maine, there's no possibility of parole.
The rampage began in July 2015 when Lord, of Crystal, set fire to a barn, stole firearms from a Silver Ridge Township
home and beat a man after tying him to a chair.
That was just the beginning.
After the barn fire, Lord went to Benedicta, where his ex-girlfriend was staying, and fatally shot her boyfriend, 22-year-old
Kyle Hewitt. He also kidnapped 22-year-old Brittany Irish, the former girlfriend, and shot and wounded her 55-year-old
mother, Kim Irish.
Later, he killed 58-year-old Kevin Tozier at a woodlot where he stole a truck. He was also accused of shooting and injuring
two other people.
Kyle Hewitt's mother, Shelly, said after the sentencing that closure isn't possible in so traumatic of a crime, but she also said
she is glad Murray imposed the maximum possible sentence. She said in court on Monday that the case has left her suffering
from post-traumatic stress disorder and she can't shake the events of Lord's crime spree.
"All of us have been given a life sentence with these changes," she said in court. "It's the least he deserves."
Lord, who has a lengthy criminal history, was arrested in his uncle's home in Houlton. He pleaded guilty last month to spare
the victims' families the ordeal of a trial. Lord's attorney's said on Monday that an appeal of his sentence is possible.
Murray described Lord's actions as a "criminal rampage" that had a "devastating effect" on the families and victims, and that
a life sentence was the only appropriate punishment.
Lord didn't offer a clue about what prompted the violence until Monday, when he said none of the events would have taken
place if his son hadn't died in May 2015. A Millinocket man is awaiting trial for his son's death.
"I do know how it feels to have a son murdered," Lord said in a statement that was read aloud by one of his defense
lawyers, David Bate. "I do hope you all will find peace. I know there is nothing I can do or say that will bring Kyle and
"I'm sorry I took your daddy away," the attorney read.
The parents of Brittany Irish said previously that Lord was furious at their daughter when she went to police about him
abducting her and attacking her two days before the rampage. Because of his lengthy criminal record, he didn't care about
the consequences, they said.